Sculpting Since: High School
Location: Tacoma, Washington
High School love doesn’t tend to last, but for Sue McGrew it hasn’t just lasted…it’s thrived. She got a taste of sand sculpting in high school and was immediately smitten. “I was hopelessly addicted,” she admitted. And that love only grew when she went to USC to study Theatre-Stage Management (with a minor in Sculpture of course). After getting her BFA, Sue focused on sand sculpting and entered competitions with great success.
She is one of the youngest professional sand sculptors in the world and has also shown prowess in snow and ice sculpting. “I think you never stop growing . . . I want to grow as an artist across all media,” she said. She has been featured on Sand Masters on The Travel Channel, as well as Sandblaster III – The Extreme Sand Sculpting Competition. With talent, skill and youth all on her side, Sue has become a major player in competitive sand sculpting.
- Regular on the televised show Sand Masters on The Travel Channel
- Appeared on The Travel Channel’s television show Sandblaster III – The Extreme Sand Sculpting Competition
- 2nd place at the 2014 U.S. Sand Sculpting Challenge, San Diego
- 1st Place at the 2012 Sand Fest in Texas
- 2nd Place at the 2011 Windemere Classic in Washington