Sculpting Since: 1988
Location: Mexico City
Born in Spain in 1963, Benjamin was attracted to art while still in the cradle. While just a teenager, he performed painting exhibitions in his hometown of San Sebastian.
He discovered sand sculpting at 25, and has been a leading figure in this art ever since. In 1997, he participated in the first International Competition in the Canary Islands and took 2nd place. (He has won dozens of awards since then.) In 1998, he began consulting and producing festivals around the globe. He has left his mark in places as diverse as Belgium and Indonesia, Holland and Colombia, Mexico and Qatar, the U.S. and China.
In addition to sand sculpting, Sr. Probanza works in stop-motion animation with sand, clay and other materials. He builds miniature models and does macro-photography. He’s into toy design and new technologies. He is certainly one of the most interesting men in the world, and may well be the model for a new Marvel superhero.
- Lifetime Achievement Award from World Sand Sculpture Association – 2003
- 2014 – 1st prize, Key West, FL
- 2012 – 2nd prize, Treasure Island, St. Petersburg, FL
- 2010 – 1st prize, Treasure Island
- 2009 – 2nd prize, Vancouver, B.C.
- Many many additional awards over a span of more than 20 years