Sculpting Since: 1987
A 1983 graduate of Musashino Art University in Tokyo, Katsu has become one of the leading sand sculptors in the world. He is also a renowned producer and director of amazing events that have been staged, not only in Japan, but also in Singapore, India, Kuwait, Italy, Holland, Canada and here in the U.S.
He has been honored as “One of 100 Japanese individuals the World Respects”. In his home country, he pioneered modern sand sculpting when he founded the Fukiage-hame Sand Festival in 1987, which ran continuously until 2002. Since 2006, he has been Executive Producer of the Tottori Sand Dunes Sand Museum, the only venue of its kind in the world. In 2014 he brought together the world’s leading sculptors to participate in a ground-breaking Tri-National Celebration in Yokohama, featuring historical figures from Japan, South Korea and China.
The U.S. Sand Sculpting Challenge is itself honored to have Katsu come to San Diego to compete against other amazing sculptors worldwide and some of the best sculptors in our country.
- 2015 – 2nd place, Bulgaria
- 2013 – 2nd place and People’s Choice, Copenhagen
- 2011 – People’s Choice, Slovakia
- 2010 – 1st place, Virginia Beach and Matera, Italy
- 2008 – 1st place, Harrison Hot Springs, Canada and Matera, Italy
- 2006 – 2nd place doubles, Quebec
- 1999 – 1st place, Singapore
- Many more awards from around the globe
On the Web: http://www.sand-museum.jp/en/?page_id=68